larn-screen

larn-screen
Larn Screenshot

Friday, December 15, 2023

Gnome Kings and the Genocide Spell

Hello LARNers.  I love that this silly game has been entertaining me for over 30 years.  Just when I think there can't possibly be anything new learned from this game, I discovered something today.  

Genocide is one of the spells you can learn by reading the Books scattered in the dungeon and the volcano.  It's a one-shot spell that lets you pick a monster to remove from your current game.  Typically I remove "n" for the spirit nagas.  They're tough even when you have the Lance of Death.  Plus, they get various special abilities that randomly mimic other monsters (rusting your armor/weapons, stealing your gold and stealing from your inventory).  

So, speaking of Mimics.  I used the genocide on the "k" Gnome King, and went to pry the jewels off one of the Thrones after I did it.  Instead of a Gnome King appearing, there was a "M" -- a Mimic!  Huh.  Then I decided to run around finding another throne.  I wanted to guarantee that I got a monster, so I stood next to the next Throne I found and cast VPR (Vaporize Rock).  And a Gnome King appeared!  Even after Genociding them.  Pretty wild!? 

No comments: