larn-screen

larn-screen
Larn Screenshot

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Level 100: The Creator

Inspired by the poster "Concertinachap" I decided to make a run at level 100. He said that he even executed a script that would VPR (vaporize rock) next to an altar, then SLE (sleep) the Demon Prince that would appear. (as long as you have the lance of death, they will die). I had to do it the old fashioned way. I didn't have Stealth permanenced, so I was forced to cast HLD (hold monsters) VPR, then SLE to hit the Demon Prince. (WEB also works). The following is the log I made of my progress towards level 100. I changed the LARN screencap to reflect what I was like at Level 100.

Apprentice Gorgon (Level 19)
Practiced Gorgon (Level 20)
Master Gorgon (Level 21)
Demi-Gorgon (Level 22)
Evil Master (Level 23)
Great Evil Master (Level 24)
Mighty Evil Master (Levels 25-30)
(Note: after level 27, you have infinite spell regeneration)

(I got a little more detailed and started noting the XP amounts)

Level 40 38099999 apprentice demi-god
Level 49 56099999 minor demi-god
Level 58 74199999 major demi-god
Level 67 92199999 minor deity
Level 76 125099999 major deity

(16 demon prince kills between levels)

Level 85 170099999 Novice Guardian

17 Kills between levels

Level 90 195099999 Apprentice Guardian

33 kills between levels.

Level 94 230299999 Earth Guardian

33 kills

Level 95 240199999 Air Guardian
Level 96 250000000 Fire Guardian
Level 97 260289506 Water Guardian
Level 98 270189506 Time Guardian
Level 99 280089505 Ethereal Guardian

(Forgot the count the kills before level 100)

Level 100 290199999 The Creator

3 comments:

Troy said...

Awesome info :) I recently started playing Ularn after reminiscing about the Amiga version of Larn I played a long time ago on a friend's computer.

Think I'll try to ninja some gold and level up!

ConcertinaChap said...

Back in the days when I was a Unix hacker and first met this game I used the Unix command "strings" on the Larn executable, so I was expecting to see all those levels.

One thing. Even as The Creator the SPH spell is still uncontrollable!

Off at a complete tangent. On one occasion I picked up Bessman's Flailing Hammer. By dint of buying rings and potions and things I managed to get my int up to 12, but I still couldn't cast a spell. At that point I realised the Hammer cheats, and so if I should find it (about 10 times in twice as many years) I sell it. The going price is 25,000 gp.

Rainier Wolfcastle said...

I've noticed some differences between the experiences of others and my own, and I don't know if they are due to the version of larn I play and/or the difficulty level at which I normally play (7) and/or bugs in my version of the game. For example:

I had lance of death, vpr, sle, and a scroll of stealth. I sidled up next to an altar, read stealth, cast vpr, cast sle, and killed the demon prince. I still had stealth going, of course (I checked), so I did it again, but this time the instant I cast vpr the demon prince appeared and killed me. So at least at diff 7 in the DOS version 12.3.0, having Stealth active does not protect you from being whacked by a demon prince you conjure up by vpr'ing an altar. Hold (whether via scroll or spell) works every time, but unless it is permanenced it only lasts long enough to kill a single demon prince.

Also, when I play volcano roulette, it is not unusual for a single creature to start chasing me when all other monsters are still frozen due to stealth. This happens when I near the monster; I don't hit it or run into it. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Also, at diff 7, a single scroll of pulverization will kill an Umber Hulk (takes you to exp level 7) or a Mimic (takes you to exp level 5), but nothing else in the volcano will die with only one pulverization. So the people who say they kill a powerful monster in the volcano with a pulverization to get instantly to exp level 10 must be playing at lower diff levels.